Monday 1 July 2013

New York: Introduction

Yesterday morning I came back from my trip to New York with Sonaj (Aladdin). I was really tired and sad yesterday so I didn't get to look through my pictures or update blog yet but today I'll give it a try!

To start off... It was amazing. Past week has been one of the most amazing weeks I ever had in my life. Not only is New York a great city, my company was great too. We had some difficulties, which is not surprising seeing our different backgrounds and meeting for the first time but I enjoyed every moment I got to spend with Sonaj. By the end of the week we got used to each other and it was as we lived in a fairy tale. I really wished that that week would never end. Our goodbye was a really hurtful one.





Fun to know

- Sonaj was waiting for me in the airport with flowers. I was pretty embarrassed but secretly I found it really sweet. He also ran past me without recognizing me.
- We're both great in ruining the moment. Hilarious.
- Sonaj always shares food while I'm not used to that at all. After I got used to it I started to like it a lot! Sharing food for the win!
- Traffic lights for pedestrians in New York only count on really busy roads. You ignore them mostly and cross the road as soon as you think it's safe enough to, no matter what the traffic lights say.
- 80% of the cars in New York are yellow taxis.
- Street food might not look amazing most of the time but thanks to Sonaj's skills we never had any not good tasting street food. All of the street food we ate was great!
- They don't sell chili hot dogs in Central Park -insert grumpy face-
- One of the servers in the hotel thought I was 18 and told Sonaj he looked 18 too. We're actually 21 and 25...
- Sonaj is very messy with food. Sadly after a week watching him I started to get messy too, which Sonaj found very funny.
- Modern art is scary
- A lot street stands sell Avengers (and other super hero) related items and a lot taxis got superhero related advertisements on their roof.
- Water is FREE in restaurants and such. Mostly you can also get unlimited refills with any kind of drinks. I really thought Sonaj was joking when he first told me that!





Our hotel

Our hotel (that Sonaj found for us) was great. They were really friendly and everything was really clean (they even cleaned our room up till two times a day! Which was actually kinda needed since we're both really messy...). It was located in the middle between Central Park en South Manhattan and a few streets away from Flatron Building. We could have breakfast every morning in the hotel but we missed it often. The first days I was sick followed by Sonaj and after that we just often missed breakfast because they closed at 10am which was the time we usually got up. Hotel rooms are usually really small in New York but I found ours more than big enough. We even had a small desk with a huge TV on top and a big wardrobe that we only used for Sonaj's shirts and the white bath robes they gave us to use (THEY ARE SO AWESOME). The bathroom was also big enough so you didn't feel cramped in it.
They gave us almost every day new bottles of water and they made up our bed before sleep time including turning on a sweet song on the alarm clock/radio. Our alarm clock also functioned as iPod/iPhone docking station. They also left sometimes chocolates on my night stand (not on Sonaj's, haha). I gave them all to Sonaj though, why would a Belgian want to eat American chocolates?!
Besides that... We had a small balcony which I enjoyed standing on to look at the traffic in the streets (our hotel was on the corner of a street so at a crossroad). The 12th floor of our hotel had a big terrace with a lot of place to sit and relax. They also had a bar there on evenings and they sometimes held private parties there. I barely go on holidays let stand to hotels so I was really excited about everything, haha.




The curtain and Sonaj's mess.

 photo NewYork632_zpse3d5357d.jpg






View from balcony.

 photo NewYork034_zps5809843f.jpg





My feet and such.

 photo NewYork020_zps458684b7.jpg






The hotel.

 photo NewYork015_zpsc2c26396.jpg






12th floor's terrace.

 photo NewYork024_zpsc75f60ad.jpg









Read more about our trip in the following posts!
Introduction (+ Hotel pictures)
Days 1-2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Our week