Saturday 17 November 2012

Rest in peace, Discovery

Sigh...

Discovery, my 16 year old cat just passed away. We've seen her pushing out her last breaths.

Compared to Felix (my other cat that died 2 months ago) Discovery was already sick for quite a while. We even went with her to the vet but all he said is that she was most likely going to die. That was past summer. He wasn't sure what was wrong with her. He needed more time to examine her and eventually have an operation and that would cost a lot but that wouldn't be worth it. She was old. Old cats get sick and well... die...

Discovery lost a lot weight past month even though she was obsessed with food. She ate everything she could find. We thought at first that she had worms but medicine against that didn't really work. She changed a lot past months, she wasn't the cat anymore that I used to know. I hated how everything for her turned around food. But when she'd jump on my lap at evenings I'd smile anyway. I grew up with this cat, I loved this cat a lot.

As a kid I used to try to dress her, force her to sleep in the beds of my dolls. I ran after her pulling her tail. Trying to pick her up all the time. Annoying her when she tried to sleep. The poor cat hated me back then. When I got older I just didn't spend much attention to her. Because of that she started to trust me and we became good friends. How older she got how more attached she became to me, us. In her last years she really sought our company by lying aside mine and my brother's computer to get attention or by jumping on our lap. I really liked that.

Last weeks... She became even more skinny. I could count her bones by touch. She was still rather active but... We all felt that she wasn't going to live long anymore. After Felix's death she started to pee in the house so my father didn't want her in anymore. She still had shelter in our veranda. We always kicked our cats outside, into the veranda, for the night. My father didn't want them inside that much because they'd lose their hairs everywhere and such.

When I came back home this week I already noticed Discovery wasn't doing well. She even had troubles walking around sometimes. This morning she looked horrible and this afternoon she died.

It feels weird to not have her around anymore. She was with us for as long as I can remember. We went from like 10 pets to 2 pets in one year. Our chickens got killed, rabbits died, cats died... I still have 2 chickens here and 2 chickens and 2 cats at my mother's. My dear Tipi and fat Yosihi. I'm glad that they're still young and healthy. 

Thank  you for all the great years Discovery. You were always here all this years and it meant a lot to me.

Oh and her name? When we wanted a cat he agreed if he could pick the name. He named her Discovery. My father really wanted a Land Rover Discovery. We got that car too a year later.

This is a picture of her that I found, it's from 2004.   


Photobucket